Friday, July 4, 2008

New Meaning to the Trolley Dash in the Supermarket

Yesterday evening my son ended up hanging upside down, his father holding him by his feet with his head just centimetres from the floor in our local supermarket.

I stood as a helpless spectator and I believe my heart had stopped beating.

Just seconds earlier my 17 month old had been sitting in a shopping trolley as we approached the self checkout of Albert Heijn in Zoetermeer. However, he spotted the children's play area, directly near the exit, and in his excitement he stood up in the trolley, lost his balance and tumbled forward, head first over the handle of the shopping cart.

Luckily for us watching Euro 2008 seemed to have rubbed off on my husband as his van der Sar like reflexes kicked in and averted a catastrophe.

My little boy, in tears from the shock of taking a plunge from what is an impressive height for a toddler, quickly forgot the source of his upset when he clambered down the steps in to the kiddies corner. It took his parents a little longer to get over the fright.

On the way home I informed my husband, "This would never have happened in Tescos."
The trolleys in Tesco have straps to firmly fasten an excitable, newly active toddler, and prevent such a mishap.

So now I have added trolley safety to my list of shortcomings of Dutch supermarkets, joining the lack of choice, quality, freshness, tidiness and customer service......... I do miss the Great British supermarket!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment