Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Expat Shopping List

Whenever I make the trip back to England, even after nearly 9 years living in the Netherlands, I arrive in the supermarket armed with a shopping list.

The list covers the things I cannot get in Dutch food shops, things that are just not the same as the English version, or items that are so much cheaper in the average Tesco than they are in Albert Heijn or the local expat shop. It makes sense of course, if you buy English (or any other international food) here in the Netherlands then you are of course paying for the import. So, when I get the chance we fill the car up with English goodies and haul it back ourselves.
So here is my typical list:
  • Bisto gravy granules
  • Crumpets
  • Malt loaf
  • Custard powder and/or Ambrosia ready made low fat Devonshire custard
  • Ambrosia low-fat rice pudding
  • Stuffing
  • Penguin bars (for my husband who has acquired a taste for them)
  • Guinness (for my husband who has acquired an obsession for it)
  • Jelly
  • English language kid's magazines
  • English language books
  • Prawn Cocktail crisps
  • English cheese (like cheddar or red Leicester)
  • Branston pickle (although I notice the XL Albert Heijn is now stocking it)
What do you stock up on when you pop back "home"?

No comments:

Post a Comment